Jul 25, 2018
Dr. Nii Darko is a trauma surgeon living in Pennsylvania and
also the creator of the wildly popular Docs Outside the Box
Podcast. In his podcast, Nii interviews ordinary doctors doing
extraordinary things. Nii’s guests have broken the typecast
of doctors as just being doctors. He has interviewed physicians
that are also media moguls, activists and trend setters. He has
also recently written a book and manages a locums company. In
between all of this, he and his amazing OB/GYN wife, Renee, paid
off over 662,000 dollars in student loans!
In this episode, you will learn:
- How he found freedom from traditional medicine through his
- Why he feels it is important to give diverse doctors a voice on
- How he got into the Locums Life and how that has changed
everything for him.
- How he started the podcast and got the original idea to do it
- Where he finds time to be a podcaster in the busy life of a
- What the hardest thing about being a podcaster is.
- Who his favorite podcast guest is so far.
- How he got the idea to write his book for podcasters in the
- How he tackled a huge amount of student loan debt between him
and his wife.
Links we discussed in the show:
Quotes from Nii Darko, MD:
- “It’s ok to just say, “I’m not just a doc.”
- “I just wanted to tell other people’s stories and I wanted to
tell it my way.”
- “I love taking care of patients, I love what I do on a daily
basis, but I love myself just as much.”
- “I think the hardest thing about podcasting is realizing the
show is not about me, the show is about the audience.”
- “Loans were just basically the pain point for all the different
things in our lives.”
- “There is a difference between success and fulfillment.”
Special thanks to this week’s sponsor: The White Coat
Investor’s new course Fire Your Financial
Advisor! and PearsonRavitz
for all of your physician disability and life insurance
Thank you for listening to the Hippocratic
Hustle! I know that time is your most valuable resource so
I really appreciate you spending some of it with me. If you enjoyed
today’s show, please share it!
If you’d like to help me improve and grow the podcast, send your
suggestions to: Carrie@HippocraticHustle.com
Lastly, don’t forget to subscribe
to the podcast, so you won’t miss an episode!