Nov 15, 2019
Today, on the Hippocratic Hustle Podcast, I talk with Stacia
Dearmin MD about the taboo topic of medical malpractice. She tells
us about her experience regarding her own lawsuit and all of the
ways she is working to help other physicians get through their own
lawsuits as well. She believes that this topic should be spoken
about openly since almost every physician will experience this at
some point in their career. Don’t miss out as she shares her top
tips for managing the stress and anxiety involved in the litigation
process as well.
In this episode, you will learn:
- How Dr. Dearmin got interested in this topic and decided to
help other physicians.
- How she recommends minimizing anxiety surrounding medical
- Why she thinks it is of utmost importance for physicians to
share their experiences surrounding lawsuits with one another.
- What steps you should take when you are notified that you are
- What you should do and not do if you think an event that
occurred could be a potential future lawsuit.
- How to manage your emotions while going through a long term
- What you can do throughout this stressful time to alleviate
stress and find balance.
- How the litigation process plays out and how much you need to
- Why it’s important to be supportive of colleagues going through
- Why she decided to start her coaching business to help
physicians one on one.
- How she developed her new course Deposition
Magic to teach physicians how to manage the deposition
Dr. Stacia Dearmin is passionate about the needs of physicians
who face unexpected adverse outcomes and medical malpractice
litigation. A speaker, coach and consultant, she founded, “Thrive”
in 2017 to provide insight, education and support to other
physicians facing one of the toughest experiences many of us will
ever have: being sued. She now speaks nationally on this topic and
writes a blog on the challenges of recovering after a hard patient
outcome and how she survived a malpractice lawsuit. She draws on
her personal experience to educate the medical and legal
communities, and more importantly, to alleviate physician’s
isolation through litigation and invite them to join her in
growing. She practices and teaches emergency pediatrics in
Quotes from Dr. Stacia Dearmin:
- “Our best way to minimize the risk is to focus in on keeping up
to date in our field, practicing good medicine, keeping ourselves
healthy, and accepting that when we do work that is so heroic, as
to get in there and make difficult decisions in the face of limited
information in real time, sometimes things are not going to go as
- “Reminding yourself that had you not been the brave kind of
individual, who cares so deeply for humanity to go through all the
work you went through, to master the body of knowledge you
mastered, to then get into the arena, and apply it to real human
lives; had you not been that person, you would not be in this
situation, and guess what, you are still that person!
Links we discussed in the show:
- Check out Dr. Dearmin’s enlightening website: ThrivePhysician.com.
- Learn all about Dr. Dearmin’s amazing course: Deposition
Magic. Don’t forget to use promo code HIPPO HUSTLE for 10%
off of her course!
Thank you for listening to the Hippocratic
Hustle! I know that time is your most valuable
resource so I really appreciate you spending some of it with me. If
you enjoyed today’s show, please share
If you’d like to help me improve and grow the podcast, send your
suggestions to: Carrie@HippocraticHustle.com
Lastly, don’t forget to subscribe to
the podcast, so you won’t miss an episode!